Armando Alvarez earns first call-up after eight seasons in minor leagues

OAKLAND — Armado Alvarez couldn’t sleep much last night. By his estimation, he only logged about three-and-a-half hours. His parents? They couldn’t sleep at all. The family’s collective restlessness was warranted.

Alvarez was going to the show.

Following eight seasons in the minor leagues — the last five of which were spent in Triple-A — the 29-year-old Alvarez earned his first major-league call-up on Saturday, a moment Alvarez had been waiting for since he attended his first Marlins game at three-years-old.

“(My mom) thought I was kidding,” Alvarez, an infielder, said. “So did my dad. They were just so excited, so happy.”

In a corresponding move, infielder Abraham Toro was placed on the 10-day injured list due to a right hamstring strain.

Alvarez learned of the news during Triple-A Las Vegas’ game on Friday night in Tacoma. As Alvarez prepared for his eighth-inning plate appearance, Las Vegas manager Fran Riordan told Alvarez that he wasn’t hitting. The substitution confused Alvarez. Not only did Alvarez, a right-handed batter, already have two hits, but Tacoma had a left-handed pitcher on the mound.

Upon learning the rationale, Alvarez’s confusion turned to joy.

“The manager said, ‘Hey, you’re not hitting,’” Alvarez said. “I was confused because it was a lefty throwing, so I thought, for sure, I was going to face him. He goes, ‘No, you’re going to the big leagues.’ I was like, ‘That works too.’”

FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! Chronicles Live is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – chronicleslive.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment