Secretary for Security Chris Tang Ping-keung said in a letter to the editor on Monday night that the government “strongly opposed and condemned” the “misleading and inappropriate remarks” written by the newspaper’s editorial board.
In the opinion piece titled “With new security law, Hong Kong doubles down on repression” published on Sunday, the American newspaper said the end of the one-month public consultation period on February 28 for the city’s domestic national security legislation was “another sad milestone in Hong Kong’s downward trajectory”.
It claimed that the proposed law would further expand the “repression” of free expression that had already been “stifled” by the Beijing-imposed national security legislation in 2020.
“Hong Kong had been something special, an outpost of freedom on Chinese soil that could mediate between Beijing and the free world. China has crushed what had been one of its greatest assets,” the newspaper said.
In response, Tang said the newspaper had “neglected” the constitutional duty to enact the legislation, which was required by Article 23 of the Basic Law, the city’s mini-constitution.
The proposed legislation, a domestic counterpart of the Beijing-decreed national security law, targets five new types of offences: treason, insurrection, theft of state secrets and espionage, sabotage endangering national security, and external interference.

Since Friday, a bills committee has vetted at least 88 out of 181 – almost half – of the legislation’s clauses.
“The bill has stipulated that one of the fundamental principles in legislating for safeguarding national security is to respect and protect human rights, and has provided for clear elements of offence, target and scope. There are corresponding or similar provisions overseas for offences mentioned in your opinion piece,” Tang said in his letter.
“The [government] will continue to resolutely discharge the responsibility of safeguarding national security, and effectively prevent, suppress and impose punishment for acts and activities that endanger national security in accordance with the law, while safeguarding the rights and freedoms enjoyed by Hong Kong people in accordance with the law.”
The newspaper also said the release of 47 opposition figures accused of subverting state power was “the only plausible, credible verdict”.
‘Lethal weapon’: prosecutors take aim at 47 in Hong Kong national security trial
‘Lethal weapon’: prosecutors take aim at 47 in Hong Kong national security trial
The 47 were arrested after taking part in an unofficial primary poll in 2020 to enhance the opposition camp’s chances of controlling the Legislative Council by shortlisting its election candidates.
In response, Tang said it was “inappropriate” to comment on the details of the case as the trial was still ongoing.
“Instead of respecting the exercise of independent judicial power by the [Hong Kong] courts, your assertion is a blatant interference with the administration of justice by the courts,” he said.
All cases were handled strictly on the principle of evidence and according to the law, and all defendants would receive a fair trial, he added.
Hong Kong lawmakers discuss longer detention time for suspects in Article 23 bill
Hong Kong lawmakers discuss longer detention time for suspects in Article 23 bill
Lai, the 76-year-old founder of the now-defunct Apple Daily tabloid newspaper, is on trial for sedition and two national security charges. He is accused of drawing international sanctions against authorities and inciting public hatred during anti-government protests in 2019.
The editorial said Lai was simply exercising his right as founder and owner of the newspaper to ensure it had a pro-democracy agenda and was in support of US sanctions against Hong Kong officials, which were “normal editorial decisions or the prerogatives of a media owner”.