Hopes for new Gaza truce talks as Israel envoy meets Qatar PM

A senior Israeli envoy has met the prime minister of Qatar, a key mediator in the conflict in Gaza, a source said on Saturday, while sources from Egypt suggested Israel appeared to be more open to a new deal with Hamas.

In another signal of a possible breakthrough, Israeli media said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu would convene his security cabinet and deliver a televised statement on Saturday evening. Netanyahu’s office did not immediately confirm that.

The Gaza war, triggered by a shock Hamas killing and kidnapping spree in south Israel on October 7, has shaken regional and world powers as the Palestinian civilian toll spirals.

While pledging to destroy Hamas, Israel has also sought to recover hostages held by the Iranian-backed Islamist group.

People prepare the grave during the funeral on Saturday of Samer Fouad Al-Talalka, who was mistakenly killed by the Israeli military while being held hostage in Gaza. Photo: Reuters

In late November, it entered a week-long, Qatari- and Egyptian-brokered truce under which Hamas released more than 100 women, children and foreigners it was holding in exchange for 240 Palestinian women and teenagers freed from Israeli jails.

Representing Israel at those negotiations was its spy service Mossad. On Friday, Mossad director David Barnea met Qatar’s Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani in a European capital, a source said on condition of anonymity.

Axios, which broke the news of the talks, said it was the first meeting between the two since the November truce. The source who spoke to Reuters said Barnea returned to Israel early on Saturday to brief Netanyahu.

Two Egyptian security sources said Israeli officials appeared more willing, in calls with mediators, to strike a fresh deal for a Gaza ceasefire and release of Palestinian prisoners in exchange for the recovery of hostages.

Israel troops kill 3 hostages after mistaking them for ‘threat’

The Egyptian sources said Israeli officials appeared to have changed their mind on some points that they had previously refused, but did not go into further detail.

There was no immediate response from Netanyahu government spokespeople to the Egyptian assessment or to Barnea’s mission.

The hostage crisis has become evermore acute in Israel since its military disclosed that troops had accidentally killed three hostages who approached them with a white flag after apparently having escaped their captors in Gaza on Friday.

Israel believes that another 20 or more of the 130 hostages still held in Gaza are dead. Families of the hostages held a rally on Saturday, demanding that Israel consider releasing senior Palestinian militants from jail in any new swap deal.

Performers stand draped in Israeli flags and holding portraits of some of the hostages held in Gaza during a demonstration outside the Tel Aviv Museum of Art on Saturday. Photo: AFP

“The Israeli government needs to be active. They need to put an offer on the table, including prisoners with blood on their hands, and put the best offer on the table to get the hostages back alive,” said Ruby Chen, father of 19-year-old hostage Itay.

“We don’t want them back in bags.”

A Hamas official, when asked earlier if there was a drive to resume hostage negotiations, said there was nothing new to report.

But in an apparent effort to sway Israeli public opinion, Hamas also released a video showing slain hostages and ending with the Hebrew warning: “Time is running out.”

FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! Chronicles Live is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – chronicleslive.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment