US and Israeli intelligence chiefs to discuss second Gaza hostage deal

US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) director William Burns and his Israeli counterpart will meet Qatari officials in coming days for talks on a second potential Gaza hostage deal, two sources familiar with the matter said on Thursday.

Burns and the head of Israel’s Mossad intelligence service, David Barnea, will meet Qatari Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani in Europe this weekend, one official briefed on the meeting told Reuters.

Egyptian intelligence chief Abbas Kamel will also take part, the second source said.

The Biden administration has been trying to secure the release of the more than 100 remaining hostages taken during Hamas’ October 7 attack on Israel, which prompted the start of a war in Gaza that is now in its fourth month – although there remains a considerable distance between the two sides’ demands.
The US and Israeli intelligence chiefs have previously met Qatari and Egyptian officials, helping to broker a short-lived truce in November that saw more than 100 hostages freed.
Burns “has been … involved in helping us with the hostage deal that was in place and trying to help us pursue another one,” White House national security spokesman John Kirby told reporters travelling with US President Joe Biden aboard Air Force One, referring specific questions to the agency.

The CIA, which has a policy of not disclosing the director’s travel, declined to comment on the meeting, first reported by The Washington Post newspaper.

US ally Israel has vowed to eradicate Hamas, unleashing a torrent of strikes that have flattened most of Gaza and killed at least 25,700 people, Palestinian health officials say.

Israeli tanks batter Gaza hospitals, displaced set to flee

A third source with knowledge of the talks said Israel has proposed a 60-day pause in the fighting during which more than 100 hostages would be released in phases, beginning with civilian women and children.

That would be followed by the release of civilian men, female soldiers and the remains of hostages who died after being abducted by Hamas, according to the source.

That plan, however, is at sharp odds with Hamas’ last proposal, raising a question of whether the gap could be bridged. According to the source, Hamas last week proposed an end to the war, international guarantees that it would not start anew and the release of all detainees held by Israel, including those who took part in its October 7 onslaught.

Israel has consistently opposed a permanent ceasefire, a position backed by Washington. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday that Israel rejected Hamas’ conditions.

Following the planned weekend talks, Qatar’s al-Thani is expected to be in Washington next week. On Monday, he will speak at the Atlantic Council, according to the think tank’s website.

FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! Chronicles Live is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – chronicleslive.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment